Who is This Course For?
Anyone who is or may be to be involved in examining electronic devices for digital artifacts (i.e. evidence) needed for company, legal, or law enforcement investigations.
The Certified Digital Forensics Examiner program is designed to train Cyber Crime and Fraud Investigators whereby students are taught electronic discovery and advanced investigation techniques. This course is essential to anyone encountering digital evidence while conducting an investigation.
The CDFE course will benefit organizations, individuals, government offices, and law enforcement agencies interested in pursuing litigation, proof of guilt, or corrective action based on digital evidence. An example of “corrective action” would be the termination of an employee for a violation of computer usage where digital evidence was needed to support the allegation. The investigator must furnish an irrefutable burden of proof based on that digital evidence. If not irrefutable, an attorney knowledgeable about Computer Forensics could have the case thrown out of court. Government or investigative agencies need proper training to succeed in cases like the above as well as those including acts of fraud, computer misuse, illegal pornography, counterfeiting, and so forth. Our Certified Digital Forensics Examiner training teaches the methodology for conducting a computer forensic examination. Students will learn to use forensically sound investigative techniques in order to evaluate the scene, collect and document all relevant information, interview appropriate personnel, maintain chain-of-custody, and write a findings report.
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2: Computer Forensic Incidents
- Module 3: Investigation Process
- Module 4: Disk Storage Concepts
- Module 5: Digital Acquisition & Analysis
- Module 6: Forensic Examination Protocols
- Module 7: Digital Evidence Protocols
- Module 8: CFI Theory
- Module 9: Digital Evidence Presentation
- Module 10: Computer Forensic Laboratory Protocols
- Module 11: Computer Forensic Processing Techniques
- Module 12: Digital Forensics Reporting
- Module 13: Specialized Artifact Recovery
- Module 14: e-Discovery and ESI
- Module 15: Cell Phone Forensics
- Module 16: USB Forensics
- Module 17: Incident Handling
- Appendix 1: PDA Forensics
- Appendix 2: Investigating Harassment
Objectives Covered in Labs
- Recovering electronically stored data for civil litigation
- Recovering, categorizing and analyzing data
- Hiding and discovering potential evidence
- Investigating a misappropriations of proprietary information complaints
- Bit-by-bit imaging digital media and preserving the integrity of the image
- Identifying and reconstructing information within various file systems
- Conducting an investigation into a complaint of sexual harassment
- Understanding anti-forensics and steganography
- Discover how a computer has been used and learn:
- What websites have been visited?
- What data has been deleted, and why?
- What data is stored on the hard drive?
- What e-mails have been sent and received?
- Has data been copied off of the computer?
After Completing This Course
Certified Digital Forensics Examiner graduates obtain real world computer forensic knowledge that will help them recognize, seize, preserve and present digital evidence. Mile2’s computer forensic graduates gain the skills and knowledge to perform forensically sound computer examinations and to clearly and accurately report on their findings. Students will also be able to confidently attempt mile2’s Certified Digital Forensics Examiner certification exam.
Also Available as Live Remote Training!
Take the class from anywhere in the world!
- Live Presentations with Powerful functionality that delivers easy viewing of slides and other documents, shared Internet access, virtual whiteboard, and a media center all through an easy-to-use toolbar.
- Application, file, and desktop sharing enable you to view live demonstrations.
- Dedicated high spec remote PC per student with full access as if you are sitting in-front of the PC in the classroom.
- Instructor views each students session when you perform your hands on labs, the instructor can access your remote system to demonstrate and assist while you sit back to absorb the classroom style mentoring you expect.
- Public and private text chat allows for increased interactivity between students and instructor