Employees of federal, state and local governments; and businesses working with the government.
This course is designed for students who are responsible for managing storage by using Windows Server 2016, and who need to understand the scenarios, requirements, and storage and compute options that are available in Windows Server 2016.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Prepare and install Nano Server, a Server Core installation, and plan a server upgrade and migration strategy.
- Describe the various storage options, including partition table formats, basic and dynamic disks, file systems, virtual hard disks, and drive hardware, and explain how to manage disks and volumes.
- Describe enterprise storage solutions, and select the appropriate solution for a given situation.
- Implement and manage Storage Spaces and Data Deduplication.
- Install and configure Microsoft Hyper-V.
- Deploy, configure, and manage Windows and Hyper-V containers.
- Describe the high availability and disaster recovery technologies in Windows Server 2016.
- Plan, create, and manage a failover cluster.
- Implement failover clustering for Hyper-V virtual machines.
- Configure a Network Load Balancing (NLB) cluster, and plan for an NLB implementation.
- Create and manage deployment images.
- Manage, monitor, and maintain virtual machine installations.
1 – INSTALLING, UPGRADING, & MIGRATING SERVERS & WORKLOADS
- Introducing Windows Server 2016
- Preparing and installing Server Core
- Preparing for upgrades and migrations
- Migrating server roles and workloads
- Windows Server activation models
- Lab : Installing and configuring Server Core
2 – CONFIGURING LOCAL STORAGE
- Managing disks in Windows Server
- Managing volumes in Windows Server
- Lab : Configuring local storage
3 – IMPLEMENTING ENTERPRISE STORAGE SOLUTIONS
- Overview of DAS, NAS, and SANs
- Comparing Fibre Channel, iSCSI, and Fibre Channel over Ethernet
- Understanding iSNS, DCB, and MPIO
- Configuring sharing in Windows Server 2016
- Lab : Planning and configuring storage technologies and components
4 – IMPLEMENTING STORAGE SPACES & DATA DEDUPLICATION
- Implementing Storage Spaces
- Managing Storage Spaces
- Implementing Data Deduplication
- Lab: Implementing Storage Spaces
- Lab: Implementing Data Deduplication
5 – INSTALLING & CONFIGURING HYPER-V AND VIRTUAL MACHINES
- Overview of Hyper-V
- Installing Hyper-V
- Configuring storage on Hyper-V host servers
- Configuring networking on Hyper-V host servers
- Configuring Hyper-V virtual machines
- Managing Hyper-V virtual machines
- Lab: Installing and configuring Hyper-V
6 – DEPLOYING & MANAGING WINDOWS SERVER & HYPER-V CONTAINERS
- Overview of containers in Windows Server 2016
- Deploying Windows Server and Hyper-V containers
- Installing, configuring, and managing containers
- Lab: Installing and configuring containers
7 – OVERVIEW OF HIGH AVAILABILITY & DISASTER RECOVERY
- Defining levels of availability
- Planning high availability and disaster recovery solutions with Hyper-V virtual machines
- Backing up and restoring the Windows Server 2016 operating system and data by using Windows Server B
- High availability with failover clustering in Windows Server 2016
- Lab: Planning and implementing a high availability and disaster recovery solution
8 – IMPLEMENTING FAILOVER CLUSTERING
- Planning a failover cluster
- Creating and configuring a new failover cluster
- Maintaining a failover cluster
- Troubleshooting a failover cluster
- Implementing site high availability with stretch clustering
- Lab: Implementing a failover cluster
- Lab: Managing a failover cluster
9 – IMPLEMENTING FAILOVER CLUSTERING WITH WINDOWS SERVER 2016 HYPER-V
- Overview of the integration of Hyper-V Server 2016 with failover clustering
- Implementing Hyper-V VMs on failover clusters
- Key features for VMs in a clustered environment
- Lab : Implementing failover clustering with Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V
10 – IMPLEMENTING NETWORK LOAD BALANCING
- Overview of NLB clusters
- Configuring an NLB cluster
- Planning an NLB implementation
- Lab: Implementing an NLB cluster
11 – CREATING & MANAGING DEPLOYMENT IMAGES
- Introduction to deployment images
- Creating and managing deployment images by using MDT
- Virtual machine environments for different workloads
- Lab: Using MDT to deploy Windows Server 2016
12 – MANAGING, MONITORING, & MAINTAINING VIRTUAL MACHINE INSTALLATIONS
- WSUS overview and deployment options
- Update management process with WSUS
- Overview of PowerShell DSC
- Overview of Windows Server 2016 monitoring tools
- Using Performance Monitor
- Monitoring Event Logs
- Lab: Implementing WSUS and deploying updates
- Lab: Monitoring and troubleshooting Windows Server 2016