Employees of federal, state and local governments; and businesses working with the government.
This four-day instructor-led course provides students who manage and maintain SQL Server databases with the knowledge and skills to performance tune and optimize their databases.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the high level architectural overview of SQL Server and its various components.
- Describe the SQL Server execution model, waits and queues.
- Describe core I/O concepts, Storage Area Networks and performance testing.
- Describe architectural concepts and best practices related to data files for user databases and TempDB.
- Describe architectural concepts and best practices related to Concurrency, Transactions, Isolation Levels and Locking.
- Describe architectural concepts of the Optimizer and how to identify and fix query plan issues.
- Describe architectural concepts, troubleshooting scenarios and best practices related to Plan Cache.
- Describe architectural concepts, troubleshooting strategy and usage scenarios for Extended Events.
- Explain data collection strategy and techniques to analyze collected data.
- Understand techniques to identify and diagnose bottlenecks to improve overall performance.
1 – SQL SERVER ARCHITECTURE, SCHEDULING, & WAITS
- SQL Server Components and SQL OS
- Windows Scheduling vs SQL Scheduling
- Waits and Queues
- Lab: SQL Server Architecture, Scheduling, and Waits
2 – SQL SERVER I/O
- Core Concepts
- Storage Solutions
- I/O Setup and Testing
- Lab: Testing Storage Performance
3 – DATABASE STRUCTURES
- Database Structure Internals
- Data File Internals
- TempDB Internals
- Lab: Database Structures
4 – SQL SERVER MEMORY
- Windows Memory
- SQL Server Memory
- In-Memory OLTP
- Lab: SQL Server Memory
5 – CONCURRENCY & TRANSACTIONS
- Concurrency and Transactions
- Locking Internals
- Lab: Concurrency and Transactions
6 – STATISTICS & INDEX INTERNALS
- Statistics Internals and Cardinality Estimation
- Index Internals
- Column Store Indexes
- Lab: Statistics and index Internals
7 – QUERY EXECUTION & QUERY PLAN ANALYSIS
- Query execution and optimizer internals
- Analyzing query plans
- Lab: Query execution and query plan analysis
8 – PLAN CACHING & RECOMPILATION
- Plan cache internals
- Troubleshooting plan cache issues
- Query store
- Lab: Plan caching and recompilation
9 – EXTENDED EVENTS
- Extended events core concepts
- Implementing extended events
- Lab: Extended events
10 – MONITORING, TRACING, & BASELINING
- Monitoring and tracing
- Baselining and benchmarking
- Lab: Monitoring, Tracing and Baselining
11 – TROUBLESHOOTING COMMON PERFORMANCE ISSUES
- Troubleshoot CPU performance
- Troubleshoot memory performance
- Troubleshoot I/O performance
- Troubleshoot Concurrency performance
- Troubleshoot TempDB performance
- Lab: Troubleshooting common performance issues